Pageviews past week

Saturday, July 8, 2017

#38 - The Man Who was Thursday - G. K.Chesterton



Title:  The Man Who was Thursday
Author:  G. K. Chesterton
Genre:  Metaphysical Thriller
Read by:  Gildard Jackson
Publisher/Date:  Dreamscape Media/2016   (originally published 1908)
Dates listened to:  6/25/17 – 7/8/17
CDs/Hours:  5/6.25
ISBN: 978-1-5200-1516-3

This book, published in the year of my father’s birth, fit a category for Summer Book Bingo.  Undercover officer Gabriel Syme is secretly involved with early 20th century Scotland Yard’s task force that attempts to take down a group of underground anarchists.  Have you ever run across situations where things are not really as they seem?  Well, this is such a story – and very confusing.  The back cover suggests many Christian allegories and themes of suffering.  I didn’t get that at all.  We are supposed to be on the edge of our seats.  Yet, again, although it was a page turner, I was good with “turning pages” (changing discs)!  Perhaps I need to “read” it again.  And in spite of it all, I did like the ending.  Maybe I understood more of it than I realized.

By the way, Chesterton is the creator of the Father Brown character and upon which is based the PBS series.  I thing I’d rather be reading those stories.

No comments: