Pageviews past week

Thursday, November 2, 2017

#66 - Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One - Judy Blume




Title:  Soupy Saturdays with the Pain & the Great One
Author:  Judy Blume
Genre:   Kid Chapter Book
Publisher/Date:   Delacorte Press/2007
Dates read:   10/30/17
IBSN:  978-0-385-73305-2

“Meet the Pain – My sister’s name is Abigail.  I call her the Great One because she thinks she’s so great.  She says, “I don’t think it. I know it!”  When she says that, I laugh like crazy.  Then she gets mad.  It’s fun to make her mad.  Who cares if she’s in third grade and I’m just in first?
“Meet the Great One – My brother’s name is Jacob Edward but everyone calls him Jake.  Everyone but me.  I call him the Pain because that’s what he is.  He’s a first-grade pain.  And he will always be a pain – even if he lives to be one hundred years old.  Even then, I’ll be two years older than him.  I’ll still know more about everything.  And I’ll always know exactly what he’s thinking.  That’s just the way it is.”

Leave it to Judy Blume to come up with an endearing story about a brother and a sister, with lots of gentle jabs at each other, each with their foibles.  I got a kick out of the fact that Abigail and my granddaughter seem to be in the same boat when it comes to having a bicycle but not yet to the point where they are ready to learn to ride it.  

As part of Porter’s reading program we took turns reading out loud to each other for twenty minutes and when it was time for bed I finished reading our loud to her as she fell asleep.  It was a sweet time together, as always.
  

No comments: