Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 8, 2016

#57 - The Day the Crayons Came Home - Drew Daywalt





#57
Title:  The Day the Crayons Came Home
Author:   Drew Daywalt
Artist:  Oliver Jeffers
Genre:  Kid Picture Book
Category:  Fiction
Rating:  B
Published:  2015
Date:  9/7/16

Yesterday I spent the day with an ill granddaughter.  Fortunately, I’d been to the library recently and took this book along.  I thought it would comfort her and help her deal with her sore throat and headache.  But she would not be consoled.  So I had to read it to myself, aloud, within her earshot.  I had read the front of the book that declared a glow-in-dark page.  I didn’t take this very seriously until I got back home.  I just now exposed the black page with its rough green drawings to the light and VOILA! It glowed!  Can’t wait until tomorrow when she comes to my house and we can get more serious about this story.  So glad she’s feeling better, too.
What’s the story about, you say?  This is a sequel to The Day the Crayons Quit.  Now they’ve come home via a collection of postcards.  Each postcard is from a different crayon, describing how it happened that they were not happy with Duncan and how he treated his crayon collection.  For example, neon red crayon writes – “Hi, Duncan,   It’s me, Neon Red Crayon.  Remember that great vacation we had with your family?  Remember now we laughed when we drew a picture of your Dad’s sunburn?  Remember dropping me by the hotel pool when you left?  Clearly you do NOT, because I’m still here!  How could you miss me?  Anyway, after 8 months waiting for you to come get me, I guess I’m walking back …   Your left behind friend, Neon Red Crayon.”

No comments: