Pageviews past week

Saturday, May 21, 2016

#22 - At the Mountains of Madness, a Graphic Novel - H. P. Lovecraft/I. N. J. Culbard






#22
Title:  At the Mountains of Madness, A Graphic Novel
Author:  Lovecraft, H. P./Culbard, I. N. J.
Genre:  Fiction
Rating:  B
Published:  2010
Dates:   5/20/16 – 5/21/16
Pages:  124

Our local public library has a reading challenge in place for this year called 16 in ’16.  It started in February but I was so busy I felt I needed to wait until later in the year.  So here I am.  There are 16 categories and for each one finished either 10 or 15 points is awarded.  This particular category is graphic novels.  I’m not into graphics and have really only glanced at what has been on the New York Times Best Seller list.  Interestingly enough, I actually listened to Lovecraft’s 1936 version earlier in the year.  As I was deciding what book to read for this category, I found this graphic tale and decided to read it.  Many graphics are based upon a book that has already been written.

This book is so cool!  I only had my imagination earlier to see the description of Lovecraft’s Antarctic monsters.  As I read the comic book by Culbard I actually got to see what these critters looked like and what the results were after they’d had their way with their victims!  Yikes!   Culbard followed the story closely.    “For a second we gasped in admiration … and then vague horror began to creep into our souls.”  The same spine tingling suspense sparked awe in the center of my heart as I re-lived this adventure.  I may even have to try another graphic someday soon.

No comments: