Pageviews past week

Saturday, February 13, 2016

#6 - The Castlemaine Murders - Kerry Greenwood

Title:  The Castlemaine Murders
Author:  Kerry Greenwood
Read by:  Stephanie Daniel
Published:  2003
Listened to:  7 CDs/8.25 hours
Dates:  1/28/16 - 2/13/16
Rating:  B
Genre:  Mystery

DD gave this to me from the library (we use the same library system) and she likes the historical stories.  Phryne Fisher is also a PBS series which I haven't really gotten into nor DD for that matter.  Yet Phryne is a flapper and cute as the bee's knees so it's fun seeing her in my imagination as I listened to a tale from the 1920s that solves a mystery that occurred in the 1850s.  Did I say the tale takes place in Melbourne, Australia?  It's a place that DD and I have both visited many years ago.

As the story goes, Phryne and her sister Beth and her faithful maid, Dot, take a trip to an amusement park with Ruth and Jane, Phyrne's two young lady daughters.  In the dusty dark Ghost Train, a mummified bullet--studded corpse falls to the ground in front of them.  Digging to the bottom of this long-standing mystery takes her to the country town of Castlemaine where it soon becomes apparent that some person is trying to muzzle her investigations.  Meanwhile, Phryne's lover Lin Chung has his own mystery to solve.

It took me longer than usual to finish because I kept falling asleep.  The two intertwining stories -- one from the present and one from the past -- also keep me on my toes, not always conducive to sleeping! Another interesting fact is that Castlemaine is an actual town in the state of Victoria and the site of a gold rush during the time of the earlier mystery.  Enjoy!

No comments: