Pageviews past week

Monday, February 20, 2017

#6 - No Lifetime Guarantee - Katie Maxwell




Title:  No Lifetime Guarantee
Author:  Katie Maxwell
Genre:  Non-Fiction
Publisher/Date:  Betterway Publications/1988
ISBN:  0-932620-92-2
Read:  12/24/16 – 2/19/17
Pages:  298

Subtitled, Dealing with the Details of Death, this publication is a comprehensive coping guide for the recently bereaved, covering:  Funeral and Burial Arrangements; Dealing with Attorneys, Accountants, Insurance Agents, and other advisors; Understanding Wills and Probate; Meeting Financial Obligations; Survivor Benefits; Taxes; Establishing Credit and much more.

I found myself putting little colorful stickies on some pages that looked like I might want to return to someday, not in the too-recent future.  I figure at my age I need to ready myself and the progeny about what to expect when you’re not expecting a major event in your life.

Not really a pleasant thought but like the back cover says, “every year, millions of men, women, and children pick up the pieces of their lives and start over, after the death of a husband or wife, father or mother.  The process is difficult and confusing, and often lonely.  Few people are prepared to cope with the debilitation grief that follows; even fewer ready to face all the details attendant to a loved one’s death.

While the book is a bit out dated it covers so many issues and subjects that it would be hard to identify without the outline that Ms. Maxwell provides here.  I count it a great resource in my library to have before the inevitable touches my family.

No comments: